Saturday, August 14, 2004

The Old and the New

I had heard that the 2004 Olympic Opening Ceremonies were going to be all about the Old and the New and, my , my , my, were they correct. It was a beautiful experience getting to watch the event (a part of it detailed, in symbols, the history of human progress --- from tableaus of Greek philosophers to a huge laser light depiction of the human DNA floating in the center of the stadium). Made me feel happy for an unbroken couple of hours. Few things do that to you. Even Mister Jackson had to do it in installments.

The event had reached it's climax as the ueber high tech torch (which I think resembles a really big cigar) was lit and it flipped back into position, flaming proudly against the Greek night sky. It was rousing.

I didn't think anything could ruin the moment. But against all odds, my father was able to! I hate spilling out too-personal details of my life even to my closest friends so I'll just say that we had a quick verbal tiff. Well at least it was supposed to be a tiff, 'cause he got angry at me when I told him that I had intended to sell my computer. Of course, I got angry back because my computer is my SOLE POSESSION. It's the one thing I bought with my own money and took care of as something that I owned. And, hard as it may be to sell it, I have to because I need the money for my September rent. And he has the gall to get HURT because I was doing that. What did he think was I going to do with it anyway? LEAVE IT as a parting gift?? Ribbons and all!? *Sigh* Anyway, I can't believe I'm still furious about it.

I guess I'm just really touchy 'cause these days I feel as if nobody, not even my parents, seems to realize that I really am leaving. Or more like: when it comes to my leaving for Boston, people seem to have the memory of a goldfish. Last night, while chugging beer at Emman's party, Chris suddenly blurted out: "Shit GP anlapit mo na umalis!" Uh. Right. Bukas, mas malapit pa. At sa makalawa, mas malapit pa lalo.

LISTENING TO:
"You will be my Ain True Love (Sting)" - loved this song since I first heard it. Love Sting. Making me feel better as I type this.

2 Comments:

Blogger anjeline said...

"I guess I'm just really touchy 'cause these days I feel as if nobody, not even my parents, seems to realize that I really am leaving." -- considering that your planned departure was two years in the making (or was it three? umiiyak na tayo nung a13 pa lang!), i guess we have to forgive people for it. but i know exactly what you mean, and you're right, it IS irritating. kebs, the bottom line is: whatever the sendoff, we're leaving anyway. :)

10:16 AM

 
Blogger Deepa said...

I guess I'm just really touchy 'cause these days I feel as if nobody, not even my parents, seems to realize that I really am leaving. Or more like: when it comes to my leaving for Boston, people seem to have the memory of a goldfish.

-- :( sorry to hear that you feel that way. my own experience of someone close to me was leaving (aka marlon) was that i could barely comprehend the enormity of what was going to happen or what i felt about it. sometimes the to-be-left behind person feels like getting all blubbery and emotional and just doesn't know how to go about it, so either we have outbursts or very sad quiet moments when we are alone. i remember my fair share of angry flare-ups in the weeks before marlon relocated to singapore, which alternated with almost abnormally normal periods where we could almost pretend nobody would be leaving and nobody would be left behind. napaka-kesong tawaging coping mechanism, pero ganun nga talaga.
but you WILL be missed, you know. (and you too, andrelinas.)

4:37 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home